Monday, May 23, 2011

Inspiration

This weekend I attended the Craft and Quilt Fair here in our fair City. http://www.craftfair.com.au/   I anticipated this event for weeks now as I've really enjoyed previous years.  I have to say they didn't disappoint.  The Quilts are outstanding and all the exhibitors were helpful and super friendly.  I hope they all do extremely well financially as I'm sure the commitment on their side to be here are huge.
As I walked around and enjoyed the stimulus overload the bits that stood out for me (and possibly only because it is my interests) was the wonderful Linen Quilts and specially the Japanese influences.  I remember lots of Owl designs.  I definitely stopped at every wool stand I loved what Teresa Dair from "dairing" in Victoria is doing she showed us how to knit using our arms as needles (think about that one for a while) I suppose you had to be there. Her website is super http://www.dairing.com/ they sell online and they stock the Habu Textiles range (Japanese again).  http://www.habutextiles.com/

The other Fabrics that I enjoyed was from Sakizome momen. Sakizome means "yarn dyed" and momen means "cotton", so the yarn is dyed before weaving  these traditional fabrics.
This gorgeous quilt is by Be Be Bold ( http://www.bebebold.com/ ) from the woven precut fabrics.





and last but not least I'm inspired to try the traditional  Sashiko method. According to Wikipedia:

Sashiko (刺し子?, literally "little stabs") is a form of decorative reinforcement stitching (or functional embroidery) from Japan. Traditionally used to reinforce points of wear, or to repair worn places or tears with patches, this running stitch technique is often used for purely decorative purposes in quilting and embroidery. The white cotton thread on the traditional indigo blue cloth gives sashiko its distinctive appearance, though decorative items sometimes use red thread.
Many Sashiko patterns were derived from Chinese designs, but just as many were developed by the Japanese themselves. The artist Katsushika Hokusai (1760–1849) published the book New Forms for Design in 1824, and these designs have inspired many Sashiko patterns.

Equipped with loads of new ideas floating around in my head I can't wait to get busy.

Have a Crafty Week.
xTx

No comments:

Post a Comment